GMDSS (GOC) course covers the mandatory minimum requirement for certification of GMDSS operator as specified in Section A-IV/2 of the STCW 1995 code. The course is designed on the IMO Model Course 1.25. INDIAN GMDSS GOC is approved by DG Shipping and Ministry of Communications.
On Completion of the (10 Days) course, candidate has to appear for an examination jointly conducted by DG-Shipping and Ministry of communications. After successfully passing the examination, a GMDSS GOC is issued by the Ministry of Communications.
Every person in charge of performing radio duties on a ship that is required to participate in the GMDSS, should be able to demonstrate competency :-
- Understanding SOLAS & Radio regulations and GMDSS carriage requirements.
- To effectively use GMDSS equipment to transmit and receive all kinds of communication (distress, urgency, safety and routine).
- To maintain GMDSS log and carry out regular test and checks.
- Transferability of skills on various makes of GMDSS equipment eg. Skanti, Sailor, JRC, Furuno.
Contents of the Course
- GMDSS Concept.
- Radio Watchkeeping.
- Digital Selective Calling.
- Distress, Urgency & Safety.
- SOLAS Procedure, distress alerts and messages for GMDSS Vessels.
- INMARSAT Systems - A,B & C.
- GMDSS Equipment usage and operation, viz SATCOM, NBDP, DSC, E.P.I.R.B., SART, NAVTEX.
- Exercises on Practical Operation and usage.