The course is approved by the Directorate General of Shipping, India and meets the requirements laid down in Regulation I/12, Sections A-I/12, B-I/12 and Table A-V/1-2-2 of the STCW Convention and Code as amended in 2010 and is in compliance with IMO Model Course 1.36.
The LNG Simulator has two ship models:
- The Moss Rosenberg design 135, 477m3 LNG Carrier having 5 tanks, the cargo system consists of 2 HD and 2 LD compressors, LD and HD heaters vaporizer and forcing vaporizer, 10 submerged cargo pumps of 1100m3/ hr each and 5 spray / striping pumps, of 50m3/hr each
- The LNG membrane tanker design Q-Flex of 217, 459.6m3 capacity having 5 tanks. The cargo system consists of 2 HD and 2 LD compressors, LD and HD heaters, LNG vaporizer and forcing vaporizer, 10 submerged cargo pumps of 1,700m3/hr each and 5 spray / Stripping pumps of 50m3/hr each and an emergency pump. For both models tanks and system valves can be controlled from the CCR and deck panels. Additionally there are temperature, pressure and level gauges fixed gas detection system, IGG plant and ESD.
The Simulator can be used in 2 modes :
- Part task simulator mode : Each individual station can be used for single student equipment familiarization, cargo stowage planning and operational concepts
- Full mission simulator where Real time resource management training is provided with Chief officer/ OOW monitoring & controlling cargo operations in CCR & duty officer and support staff conducting operations on deck.
- Familiarization with all cargo equipment & Instrumentation
- Awareness of hazards of LNG Cargo and Use of checklists in various cargo operations
- Understand all operations of an LNG tanker in a Drydock to Drydock cycle & gas freeing operations
- Planning of cargo loading & discharging operations with the use of HD Compressor, Spray pumps and vaporisers where required
- Line up for Loading, Discharging, Cooling, Ballasting, Inerting Heating & Gas Freeing.
- Understand the operation of LD Compressor and forcing vaporiser to transfer boil off gas to the boiler.
- Monitor loading, stability, care during the voyage and unloading of LNG cargo
- Identify operational problems and gain experience in solving them
- Carry out various exercises on the simulator of each activity in a Dry dock to Dry dock cycle