1. JRC JAN-701/901/901M, 701B/901B/2000 - 1 Day [Mumbai & Delhi]
2. Maris ECDIS 900 - 1 Day [Mumbai & Delhi]
3. TRANSAS NS 4000 ECDIS Standard, MFD Premium, Navi-Sailor 4100 ECDIS MFD, ALPHACHART-T - 1 Day [Mumbai & Delhi]
4. Chartworld e-Globe and e-Globe 2 - 2 Days [Mumbai]
5. HEADWAY HMT-E1000 - 2 Days [Mumbai]
6. Furuno FEA-2107/2807 FMD 3100/3200/3300 - 1 Day [Mumbai & Delhi] (Only AESM Officers)
This course is run as per the requirements mentioned in IMO Model course 1.27 and guidelines laid by Flag State Administration and gives the officers knowledge and practice on the operational use of Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) equipment placed on board the ship they are to join.
When ECDIS is used as primary means for navigation, Master and officers in charge of a navigational watch should have completed appropriate ECDIS training and documentary evidence of such training must be maintained on board.
To fulfill the above requirement every navigational watch keeping officer shall
1. A generic ECDIS 40 hour training course that follows IMO Model Course 1.27 and conforms to the STCW requirements under Tables A-II/1, A-II/2 and A-I/12.(This, the trainee should have completed earlier),
2. A "Type Specific ECDIS” Familiarisation training in accordance with STCW Convention Regulation I/14 for the ECDIS model fitted on board their ships.
a. ECDIS type specific equipment training should relate to the make and model of the equipment fitted of the ship on which they are currently serving i.e. it will be necessary to attend a training course for each different system a Master or Navigation Officer is expected to operate. This training should build on the approved ECDIS generic training which should have been already completed by the trainee.
b. The training should be delivered by a suitable person or organisation, such as the ECDIS manufacturer; the manufacturer’s approved agent or qualified trainer. A manufacturer’s computer based training package may be used for this purpose.
Contents of the course
This equipment specific training shall concentrate on the functionality and effective use of the system type onboard. This training shall cover the following areas:
- familiarisation with available functions
- familiarisation with the menu structure
- display setup
- setting of safety values
- recognition of alarms and malfunction indicators and the actions to be taken
- route planning
- route monitoring
- changing over to backup systems
- loading charts and licenses
- updating of software
- Loading chart updates