Understanding the manoeuvring capabilities of large ships and the principles in handling them in varying sea conditions.
User specific dedicated course for training master, chief officer and pilots in manoeuvring of large vessels. The exercises are conducted on ships greater than 100,000 DWT, on our stateof-the-art full mission TRANSAS NT-PRO 5000 Navigation simulator.
The simulator is equipped with ship models ranging from 9000 to 20000 TEU container ships, Capesize Vessels to Ultra Large Ore Carriers, VLCC to ULCC Tankers. Our trained simulator instructors, coach aspiring senior deck officers and pilots through difficult weather and varying visibility conditions, developing self confidence in candidates which is so essential in handling these large vessels. Exercises are carried out for approaching port, anchoring, picking up pilot and navigating through narrow channels for berthing of ship.
Contents of the course
- Standard Manoeuvres and Handling of Large Vessels
- Effect of Wind on high freeboard ships
- Effect of Current and Tide
- Shallow water effect especially when approaching port and in a channel and interaction between ships
- Anchoring techniques for large ships
- Behaviour of large vessels in heavy weather - countering head seas and quartering seas, avoiding parametric rolling
- Berthing and use of tugs. Mooring pattern and mooring safety