This module No. 4 - Accident Investigation forms a part of the Maritime Safety Management Course.
This module is meant for shipboard officers who are required to carry out an onboard investigation of incidents and significant near misses and report them promptly to the QHSE department in the company.
This involves immediate and basic causes to be identified after an incident and root cause analysed.
It is based on DNV-GLs-Accident Investigation module and includes some elements from IMO- Model Course 3.11 and TMSA element 8.
This training is covered in two stages-
Stage 1: Accident Investigation â€“ E-learning module
Stage 2: Accident Investigation Workshop â€“ classroom-based session â€“ 1 day.
- Knowledge of IMO resolutions, conventions and code on Accident Investigation.
- Understand the Loss Causation Model and the Accident Swiss Cheese Model.
- Be able to carry out an accident investigation, do a root cause analysis to find the basic cause and implement corrective action to prevent such incidents in the future.
Contents of the course
- Accidents & public perception.
- International Conventions and Investigation Code.
- Accident Investigation - the process.
- Evidence collection.
- Interviewing Techniques.
- Human Factors.
- Root Cause Analysis.
- Accident Reporting.